The application process starts every September on a rolling basis. Please observe the application procedures and submit your application as earliest as possible.
1. Online Application
Apply via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) website, select CUHK as 1st choice and obtain application number. Quote the HKPFS+ application number, apply online via CUHK website, and pay the application fee. For regular applications not applying through HKPFS, please apply online via CUHK website only and pay the application fee.
2. Send Material
[H] Hard copy materials:
If a hard copy is required, it should reach the following address on or before the deadlines:
Office of Research and MPhil-PhD Programmes
Room 1503, 15/F, Cheng Yu Tung Building
12 Chak Cheung Street
Shatin, N. T., Hong Kong
+852 3943 8609
[S] Soft copy materials:
If only a soft copy is required, it should be uploaded to the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes on or before the deadlines. Please do not send materials via email.
3. Add referees
Insert referees’ contact information on the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes for sending an invitation.
4. Check status
Application status can be checked on the Online Application System for Admission to Postgraduate Programmes. To check the receipt of supporting documents, please email email@example.com and quote the application number.
- An admission interview may be required.
- Please quote your application number and applied programme on the materials.
- To send a TOEFL/GMAT/GRE score report, only an institution code is required. Any department code would direct the score report to the Office of Research and MPhil-PhD Programmes.
- A separate set of materials should be submitted for each application.
- All supporting documents should either be uploaded to the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes or be mailed to the Office of Research and MPhil-PhD Programmes. Please do not send supporting documents via email.
- Documents uploaded to the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes should be a clear scanned copy of the entire document. An incomplete copy may be regarded as invalid.
- Wrong addresses and missing or invalid documents may cause a delay in the admission process. Late submissions would not be entertained.
- Additional information or materials may be required during the selection or admission process.
- All documents submitted will not be returned. If the application is unsuccessful, all documents will be destroyed.
Most of the offices are partly open and provide limited services due to the 2019-nCoV outbreak. There might be a delay in the admission process. When offices resume normal operation, the department concerned will contact applicants for an interview if they are shortlisted, or for supplement documents if needed.
Application period for 2020 Admissions
From 2 September 2019 to 10 January 2020
on a rolling basis
The Programmes will admit suitable candidates anytime within or after the application period.
General Admissions Requirements
Applicants should have:
- A master’s degree from a recognised university; or
- Graduated from a recognised university and obtained a bachelor’s degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- Graduated from an honours programme of a recognised university with a bachelor’s degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”; or
- Completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
What to Submit
[S] Copies of university certificates of graduation, examination certificates and proof of other qualifications; and
[S] A Chinese copy of the Online Verification Report of Qualification Certificate (教育部學歷證書電子註冊備案表) issued by the CHESICC (學信網) (for applicants who obtained degrees from universities in Mainland China only).
- I did not attach the “Transcript Submission Covering Sheet” to my transcript. What can I do?
The “Transcript Submission Covering Sheet” is for identifying the transcript to your application. If it is not attached to the transcript, it will be identified by name and date of birth. You do not need to send again.
- I am unable to send hard copy of supporting documents to your Office/my supporting documents cannot arrive your Office by the deadline, what can I do?
We can only process a fully completed application with all required materials submitted. Please submit all materials on or before the deadline. Some materials can be uploaded to the application system for our interim reference. Please refer to the Application Procedures for details.
- My university will not help me to mail the official transcript, can I mail it to you by myself?
You can mail the official transcript by yourself. Please make sure that the envelope is sealed with a university stamp and remains unopened before arriving at our office.
English Language Requirements
To fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirements for admission to postgraduate programmes, applicants should have:
- Obtained a degree from a university in Hong Kong* or taken a degree programme of which the medium of instruction was English; or
- Achieved scores in the following English Language tests as indicated (HKPFS only accepts score report of TOEFL or IELTS (Academic)):
– TOEFL#: 550 (Paper-based) / 79 (Internet-based);
– IELTS# (Academic): 6.5;
– GMAT^ (Verbal): Band 21; or
- Obtained a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
– Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level);
– Hong Kong Higher Level Examination;
– CUHK Matriculation Examination;
– General Certificate of Education Examination (GCE) Advanced Level (A-Level)/Advanced Subsidiary Level (AS-Level); or
- Achieved Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
- Obtained a recognised professional qualification, provided that the examination was conducted in English.
What to Submit
[S] A copy of graduation certificate issued by a university in Hong Kong; or
[H] Original valid official score report of TOEFL (institution code: B022)/IELTS (Academic) (address: same as the address for mailing hard copy materials)/GMAT (Verbal) (institution code: R9H-0W-04) sent directly from the test organization (HKPFS only accepts score report of TOEFL or IELTS (Academic)); or
[S] Certification of Results of the English Language subject in Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), or Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, or Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination provided by Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority; or
[H] Certified true copy of Statement of Results/report of the English Language subject in General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-level or AS-level/CUHK Matriculation Examination; or
[H] Certified true copy of certificate of a recognized professional qualification for which the examination was conducted in English.
- My degree was taught in English. Do I need to submit the TOEFL/IELTS score report?
If you wish to prove your English language proficiency with your degree, you can submit a degree certificate or an official transcript as supporting document. The validity is subjected to the Graduate School’s decision.
- My TOEFL/IELTS was taken two years ago, can I still submit it as part of my application materials?
Please request the organisation concerned to send the score report directly to our Office. If you successfully make a request, your score report is regarded as valid.
- I have sent my GMAT/GRE/TOEFL/IELTS score report to you, did you receive it?
Please make sure you provide the correct institution code/address when requesting the organisation concerned. You may refer to Admissions for the institution codes and address. A wrong institution code/address may result in documents going missing or not being delivered. If this happens, please send another copy to us on or before the deadline. If the institution code/address is correct, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your application number to check if we have received your report.
Additional Requirements/ Materials
The applicants should:
- Have taken the GMAT^ or GRE^;
- Provide recommendation/reference from two referees; and
- Be committed to research and/or tertiary education.
- submitted by the referees via the Online Confidential Recommendation System; or
- downloadable on the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes sealed in an envelope with the referee’s signature; and
- to indicate the applicants’ general area of research interest, any specific research topics of interest to the applicant and the language that they will use to write the thesis; and
- to state the applicants’ objective in pursuing the programme of study, their career aspirations, and any other reasons for their application; and
- to demonstrate applicants’ research potential and capability; and
- I submitted the TOEFL/IELTS score report. Do I still need to submit the GMAT/GRE score report?
GMAT/GRE is a mandatory requirement in addition to English Language Proficiency requirements. Please ask the organisation concerned to send the score report directly to our Office. The institution code for sending the report can be found in the Admission Requirements.
- What is the minimum requirement for GRE/GMAT score?
There is no minimum requirement for the GRE/GMAT score. The Selection Panel will consider your application as a complete profile. Therefore, please submit all the required application materials for our consideration.
- My referee said s/he did not receive the invitation email, what can I do?
Please check the contact information of your referee by logging into the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes, and invite your referee to check the email junk box. If you find that the information is correct and your referee cannot find the invitation email in the junk box, please send an email to email@example.com, stating your application number, ID/passport number and date of birth, to request a resend. If the contact information of your referee on our system is incorrect, please send an email with the same information to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a change of contact information. Please note that change after the application deadline is unable. In this case, please invite your referee to submit the recommendation form/letter by post. The blank recommendation form is downloadable on the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes. Please make sure that the envelope is sealed with the referee’s signature and remains unopened before arriving at our office.
+ Applications which are not selected for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme will be considered as regular applications.
* This is based on the understanding that English is the medium of instruction of degree programmes offered by universities in Hong Kong. Moreover, graduates from universities in Hong Kong should have fulfilled the English language requirements of the institution concerned when they were admitted to the degree programmes. The CUHK Graduate School may request applicants to provide additional supporting documents to prove their English proficiency.
# TOEFL and IELTS results are considered valid for two years from the test date. TOEFL result should be in the same attempt for fulfilling the requirement.
^ GMAT and GRE results are considered valid for five years from the test date. GMAT result is not accepted for proof of English Language proficiency for HKPFS applicants.