The online application system opens in September each year. Respective programmes will identify, shortlist, and admit applicants within or after the application period. Therefore, please submit your application with all the required documents as early as possible.
CUHK Business School organized a one-day Online Summer Workshop on 8 July 2022 (Friday) for prospective applicants. In case you missed it, or if you’d like to refer back, you can watch the recording of the workshop at 2022 Online MPhil-PhD Students Recruitment Summer Workshop.
Application period for 2023/24 Admissions
HKPFS Application Deadlines
By 12:00 noon (HKT), 1 December 2022, on the HKPFS system
By 5:00 pm (HKT), 1 December 2022 on CUHK Online Application System.
Deadline for the Main Round
1 December 2022
Deadline for the Clearing Round: (subject to quota availability)
31 March 2023
Applicants are encouraged to submit a complete application before 1 December 2022. Evaluation is on a rolling basis.
We strongly encourage applicants of our PhD Programmes to simultaneously apply for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)+.
- Submit an application at Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) website, select our programme as 1st choice and obtain your HKPFS reference number. (MPhil applicants are not eligible for HKPFS. Applicants to MPhil programmes, please skip this step).
- Fill out the application form at CUHK Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes website (CUHK Online Application System), quote your HKPFS reference number, and pay an application fee (HKD 300). (MPhil applicants, please leave the HKPFS reference number blank.).
- All documents should be uploaded to the CUHK Online Application System as early as possible and before the said application deadline. Please make sure your scanned documents are clear and in high resolution. Otherwise, documents will be regarded as invalid. (Some documents have to be submitted in hard copies, too, please refer to the Admission Requirements for details.)
- Submit the referees’ contact information via the CUHK Online Application System. Invitation emails will then be sent by the system automatically.
General Admission Requirements
- a master’s degree from a recognized university; or
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor’s degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor’s degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
English Language Requirements for Admission
Applicants whose degree was obtained outside Hong Kong@ or by an institution where the medium of instruction was not English are required to take one of the following English language proficiency tests with the achieved scores as indicated:
- IELTS# (Academic): 6.5;
- TOEFL#: 550 (Paper-based)/79 (Internet-based);
- GMAT^(Verbal): Band 21
Programme-Specific Admissions Requirements
Applicants are required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) and obtain a satisfactory score to demonstrate their capability for graduate studies.
- GMAT^/GMAT Online Exam^;or
- GRE^ /GRE Test at Home^
Visit Graduate School’s website for details about the University’s requirements.
Visit Application Documents for documents required for admission application.
- Any late applications will NOT be accepted.
- Normally, we DO NOT accept any supporting documents sent via email@example.com unless specified. Applicants, please upload your supporting documents to the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes or mail them to the office on or before the said application deadline.
- Any submitted documents will not be returned to applicants. All the application documents will be discarded after one year.
- Departments/Schools may arrange admission interviews when necessary.
- Departments/Schools may contact you for any outstanding documents when needed.
- If you wish to apply to multiple programmes, please provide a complete set of documents for each application.
- Applicants can check their application status at the CUHK Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes.
+ Applicants who are not selected for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme will be considered as regular applicants.
@ This is based on the understanding that English is the medium of instruction in degree programmes offered by universities in Hong Kong. Moreover, graduates from universities in Hong Kong should have fulfilled the English language requirements of the institution concerned when they were admitted to the degree programmes. CUHK Graduate School may request applicants to provide additional supporting documents to prove their English proficiency.
# IELTS and TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date.
^ GMAT and GRE scores are valid five years from the test date.