CUHK Business School’s rigorous research-based graduate programmes, including Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programmes, offer students an excellent opportunity to work with a quality international faculty and share research ideas with a world-class, diverse academic peer group, in an environment that encourages intellectual stimulation and research innovation.
The research interests of our faculty members cover a wide spectrum of key business and economic disciplines, with a special focus on the business dynamics of emerging markets, in particular China.
Our faculty members are active contributors to top-tier, international peer-reviewed journals. Some of them also serve on the editorial boards of internationally renowned journals, contributing their professional views and keeping up with the latest research developments:
- Prof. Daphne Yiu, Editorial Board Member of Academy of Management Journal & Editorial Board Member of Organization Science
- Prof. Dora Lau, Editorial Board Member of Journal of Applied Psychology
- Prof. George Yang, Editorial Board Members of The Accounting Review
- Prof. Joseph Fan, Associate Editor of Management Science & Journal of Corporate Finance
- Prof. Kenneth Law, Editorial Board Member of Academy of Management Journal & Consulting Editor of Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology
- Prof. Liang Guo, Associate Editor of Management Science
- Prof. Michael Zhang, Associate Editor of Management Science
- Prof. Tianyu Zhang, Editorial Board Members of The Accounting Review
Fields of Study
MPhil-PhD in Accountancy
This programme focuses on theoretical and applied accounting research with an interdisciplinary thrust including statistical decision theory and law.
MPhil-PhD in Business Administration
A programme that incorporates comprehensive research into Hong Kong’s leading growth industries of hospitality, tourism, real estate, finance, marketing and management.
MPhil-PhD in Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics
This programme includes cross-disciplinary research with local and overseas scholars in management practices, business studies, and decision sciences.
MPhil-PhD in Finance
The department’s research specialisations concentrate on corporate finance, investment, and financial markets and institutions in China and overseas.
MPhil-PhD in Management
A programme that covers important areas from strategy to entrepreneurship with a major strength in international business and emerging economies.
MPhil-PhD in Marketing
This programme’s diversified research interests emphasise the international and sociocultural aspects of marketing with a focus on Hong Kong and China.
Programme of Study
Both MPhil and PhD Programmes offer a full-time mode of study only.
Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Programmes
The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Programmes seeks applicants who have attained outstanding achievement as undergraduate students and who wish to pursue advanced studies in preparation for a doctoral level degree, or for employment in private or public sector specialist positions that require strong research and analytical skills.
Period of Study
- Normative Study Period: 2 years
- Maximum Study Period: 4 years
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programmes
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programmes seeks applicants who have demonstrated outstanding research potential at the undergraduate and graduate levels. These programmes of advanced studies prepare students for careers in teaching and research at higher education and research institutions that require advanced research capabilities.
Period of Study (for students with a research master’s degree)
- Maximum Period to Fulfil Candidacy Requirement: 24 months*
- Normative Study Period: 36 months
- Maximum Study Period: 72 months
* Students who fail to fulfil the candidacy requirement within 24 months will be required to discontinue studies.
Period of Study (for students without a research master’s degree)
- Maximum Period to Fulfil Candidacy Requirement: 36 months^
- Normative Study Period: 48 months
- Maximum Study Period: 84 months
^ The postgraduate studentship (PGS) will stop after the 24th month if the student cannot pass the candidacy requirement within 24 months, but will resume upon passing the candidacy requirement. The end date of the PGS award will remain as the normative study end date. Students who fail to fulfil the candidacy requirement within 36 months will be required to discontinue studies.
Tuition & Financial Support
The tuition fee for MPhil and PhD Programmes is HK$42,100 per annum. Starting from 1 July 2018, the HKSAR Government provides a tuition waiver for all local students enrolled in full-time CUHK Business School MPhil and PhD Programmes.
Students must fulfil the following criteria to graduate:
- Complete all the graduate courses required by the individual department/School.
- Give an oral presentation on their research progress (PhD students only).
- Submit a research thesis and pass an oral examination.
- Complete the Improving Postgraduate Learning (IPL) course “Observing Intellectual Property and Copyright Law during Research”.
- Complete an IT Proficiency Test. Those admitted in 2004-5 and thereafter who have passed the International Computer Driving Test may apply for exemption from the Test. Tests are graded pass or fail and multiple attempts are allowed. Upon graduation, the transcript will show ‘IT Proficiency Passed’.
- Complete an online Research Ethics Training (RET) module on “Publication Ethics” offered by the Office of Research and Knowledge Transfer Services (ORKTS) and obtain a valid Publication Ethics Certificate.
- When deemed necessary by advisor/supervisor, student (including non-Chinese speaking student) may be requested to take a required language.